I made this for my mum for Mother’s Day this year and it was a hit with the whole family! You can tweak it to suit whatever you have in the pantry in the way of dried fruits and nuts, just make sure they’re chopped quite well so they bind together when baking.
- Gluten free
- Refined sugar free
- High fibre
- 100g Coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp Chia seeds, 3 tbsp water (let sit in water until it forms a gel)
- 1 tbsp Black sesame seeds (8g)
- 100g Goji berries
- 100g Raw cashews
- 50g Inca berries
- 60g Pumpkin seeds
- 120g Slivered almonds
- 150g Freedom Foods Active Balance Multigrain with Cranberry Cereal
- 1/4 cup Plain GF flour, sifted
- 150g Butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup Maple syrup
- 1 Egg
- 200g Good-quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a 3cm-deep, 18cm x 28cm (base) slab pan. Line with baking paper.
- Roughly dice all the fruit, nuts and seeds so they’re a similar size. Combine diced dried fruit, nuts and seeds in a large bowl. Stir in the flour.
- Combine butter and maple syrup in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until butter melts. Allow to cool slightly. Add maple syrup mixture and egg to fruit mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and smooth surface. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside in pan to cool completely.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium (50%) for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every minute with a metal spoon until almost melted. Stir until smooth. Spread chocolate over cooled slice. Set aside for 2 hours or until set. Cut into pieces. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or until firm. Serve!
Tags: florentine, gluten free, high fibre, refined sugar free, slice