Returning to Stockholm to be greeted by this dish – as cooked by my husband – is generally getting the ultimate “Welcome dwelling!” exclamation in meals type. Right after a whirlwind magical content material creation + exploration trip to Miami, CocoCay and Nassau (much more on that quickly. Thank you Joyce and Royal Caribbean!), followed by significantly much less magical delayed flights and extended layovers in Atlanta and Paris, I returned dwelling to be greeted by hugs from my boys… and the comforting aroma of my husband’s favourite curry, identified as Panang (or Phanaeng). Getting shared this numerous occasions on my Instagram stories, I believed I ought to ultimately share an actual recipe right here.
If you like a dish that balances sweet, salty, spicy and sour (I relate!), this one particular has your tastebuds covered.
Creamy and satisfying, it is a comfort dish that remains fresh and light adequate to consume in warmer climate. I do not claim to be an specialist on Thai cuisine, even though I have definitely eaten my much more-than-fair share. And this may possibly not be the most genuine representation of the dish (a dish which generally includes shrimp paste and fish sauce), but it is a worthy option for busy persons with a penchant for plant-primarily based deliciousness!
Ladies and gentlemen, I present you with my husband’s favourite curry*!
(*He actually tends to make some variation of Panang curry weekly!)
Do you have a weekly go-to recipe I require to know about? Let me know!
We require to get started expanding our effortless meal repertoire once more. Life is BUSY ideal now! 😛
CRISPY TOFU PANANG (PHANAENG) RED CURRY
WITH RICE NOODLES
(effortless, vegan & gluten-totally free)
Prep time: 30 minutes
Roughly 700g (three packs) unseasoned fried tofu à la minute, cubed
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
two capsicums/bell peppers, deseeded and sliced into thin strips
About two cups (480 ml) washed broccoli florets
2 cloves garlic, crushed
two tbsp coconut oil, divided
1 smaller can (four oz/115 g) vegan Panang red curry paste*
(*numerous regular versions include shrimp paste so verify the packaging, if that is an concern for you)
six kaffir lime leaves (optional, but advisable to improve flavour)
three tbsp peanut butter
1 1/two cans (600 ml) organic unsweetened coconut milk
About two tbsp gluten-totally free tamari, divided (use or much more or much less to taste)
Rice noodles* (or other) to serve.
*Prepare as considerably as necessary, but 1.six oz/45 g of dry rice noodles per particular person is about what we use per person serve, and we just soak them in boiled water for about three minutes, ahead of draining and adding to dishes. So effortless!
About two cups (480 ml) of fresh infant spinach or sautéed kale to serve (optional)
Thai basil/cilantro/parsley, dried chilli flakes, chopped salted peanuts and fresh lime wedges to serve
- Spot a wok (or skillet) more than medium-higher heat. Add one particular tablespoon of the the coconut oil and the tofu pieces and fry till beginning to turn crispy. Set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of the the coconut oil and onion. Sauté for 1 minute, ahead of adding the peppers and garlic. Continue to sauté for a additional minute ahead of adding the red curry paste and peanut butter.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring periodically. Then add the coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves and 1 tablespoon of tamari. Add the fried tofu to the curry. Stir the components to combine.
- Bring to a boil ahead of lowering the heat and permitting the curry to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring sometimes. Taste and add much more tamari, a teaspoon at a time, if vital. Get rid of from heat.
- Get rid of the kaffir lime leaves.
- Spot handfuls of washed infant spinach into serving bowls. Add cooked rice noodles (or rice or quinoa if you favor) to each and every bowl and spoon more than a generous quantity of the curry.
- Prime with fresh herb/s of decision, chopped salted peanuts, and dried chilli flakes for an additional kick, if you like. And surely squeeze more than some fresh lime juice.
Please note that leftover curry will retain effectively if refrigerated in an airtight container (for about five days). It is a fantastic prep-ahead meal thought also!
*I’ll be sharing a from-scratch curry paste recipe quickly, so remain tuned!