If you happen to go to the Midwest, I problem you to discover a single potluck, household reunion, church picnic, or vacation meal that doesn’t contain some model of right this moment’s crunchy Asian Ramen Salad. It’s ubiquitous. It’s my childhood. It’s maybe the very best, most-addictive facet dish ever created.
How do I clarify this oriental ramen noodle salad to these of you who didn’t develop up within the Midwest?
If you happen to’ve by no means eaten crunchy Ramen Salad, my hunch is that you just could be skeptical of crumbling an raw ramen noodle packet (sure, I do imply the identical ramen noodle packet that helped you survive faculty) over a bowl of bagged cabbage coleslaw.
You won’t imagine me once I inform you that canned mandarin oranges are necessary.
That earlier than the Creamy Cucumber Salad, Grilled Corn Salad, and even Mexican Corn Salad, THIS ramen salad recipe is the dish first inhaled by the hungry hoards.
Make Ramen Salad to your subsequent potluck and also you’ll see I communicate reality.
I can’t particularly pinpoint the one single merchandise that makes this salad so enduringly widespread and outrageously addictive.
I believe it lies someplace between the crispness of the coleslaw, the toastiness of the almonds, the sweetness of the dressing, and the truth that crumbling raw ramen noodles over a dish after which declaring it a salad seems like a little bit of a win.
I do know that as quickly as I spy the Asian Ramen Salad on the buffet line, I barrel down upon it. That is the second: seize it earlier than it’s gone.
Asian Ramen Salad—Lightening Up a Traditional
Like many conventional Midwestern “salads”—the fluff salad, the strawberry pretzel salad, the macaroni salad, the Jell-O salad in its countless iterations—the basic recipe for Asian Ramen Salad isn’t a lot a pile of greens as a set of less-than-virtuous components.
The model in my childhood parish cookbook requires a waterfall of vegetable oil, three packets of ramen noodles, and the mysterious seasoning packets that include the ramen noodles.
I made a decision to see if I may give you a wholesome adaptation of cabbage ramen salad utilizing actual components that might be as irresistible as the unique church-lady model.
The ultimate report: GLOWING. At present’s wholesome Asian Ramen Salad is simply as obsessively good as the unique however higher for you. It incorporates:
- Coleslaw Combine. It’s also possible to shred your individual cabbage or use broccoli slaw to make a broccoli ramen salad.
- Shredded Carrots. To spice up the vegetable content material.
- Edamame. Under no circumstances conventional however excellent in each manner right here. They make the ramen salad buttery and extra satisfying.
- Inexperienced Onions. For a little bit of zip.
- Mandarin Oranges. For the nostalgia issue and sweetness, I couldn’t half with them on this recipe. Remember to drain away the syrup first.
This wholesome ramen salad additionally incorporates its namesake:
For the max “well being” issue, I thought of dropping the ramen noodles all collectively however…it simply felt mistaken. I nonetheless wished the addictive Asian Ramen Salad taste and crunch that I am keen on, and no shock, ramen noodles are an integral part.
As a substitute, I lower the recipe all the way down to only one packet, then toasted it within the oven with an equal quantity of two extra bonus components: almonds and sesame seeds.
The toasting is an additional step however a straightforward one, and it’s utterly well worth the deeper taste and texture it offers.
A Fast Ramen Dressing
The opposite large alternative to slim down this crunch ramen salad was the dressing.
- As a substitute of canola oil, granulated sugar, and the ramen seasoning packets, I used a reasonable quantity of heart-healthy olive oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and honey.
The revamped dressing is addictively candy and salty, nicely balanced, and hundreds higher for you than the unique.
Make This Ramen Salad Forward
Another excuse ramen salad is a long-standing potluck facet is that it may be made prematurely.
- Totally assembled, this recipe will be made Three hours prematurely. In actual fact, I believe it tastes higher as soon as the flavors have had an opportunity to marry.
- If you happen to wait so as to add the ramen noodles, nuts, and sesame seeds, you can also make it 1 full day prematurely. (The ramen noodles soften because the salad sits, so add them final.)
- Take pleasure in leftovers for as much as Three days.
- Ramen salad tastes fabulous chilly or at room temperature, so you may let it hang around on the potluck with out having to hurry it again into the fridge to maintain it chilly.
Searching for a straightforward crowd pleaser to your subsequent potluck, a stellar summer time facet, or a style of the Midwest? You’ve discovered it proper right here.
A greater, wholesome model of the basic crunchy Ramen Salad made with contemporary components. Cabbage coleslaw makes it fast and straightforward. A potluck favourite!
For the Salad:
— (Three ounces)
— (16 ounces)
shelled frozen edamame
— thinly sliced (each white and inexperienced components)
canned mandarin orange segments in gentle syrup
— rinsed and drained
For the Dressing:
extra-virgin olive oil
— substitute agave if vegan
low-sodium soy sauce
Place a rack within the heart of your oven and preheat the oven to 425 levels F. Crumble the ramen noodles onto a baking sheet and unfold them in a single layer together with the almonds. Bake for five minutes, take away from the oven, add the sesame seeds, and toss, then bake for 1 to three further minutes till aromatic and golden. Watch carefully in order that the combination doesn’t burn. Put aside.
In a small bowl, briskly stir collectively the entire dressing components: rice vinegar, olive oil, honey, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. (Alternatively, you may shake them collectively in a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid.)
In a serving bowl, toss collectively the coleslaw, edamame, carrots, scallions, and toasted ramen and almonds. Drizzle the dressing excessive, then toss once more to mix. Sprinkle the oranges excessive, then refrigerate till able to serve.
- Leftover Asian Ramen Salad will final within the fridge for as much as Three days.
Straightforward Chinese language Meals, Wholesome Asian Ramen Salad
Quantity per serving (1 of 8) — Energy: 236, Fats: 14g, Saturated Fats: 2g, Sodium: 382mg, Potassium: 385mg, Carbohydrates: 23g, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 9g, Protein: 8g, Vitamin A: 49.5%, Vitamin C: 33.8%, Calcium: 9.8%, Iron: 12.8%
This submit incorporates some affiliate hyperlinks, which implies that I make a small fee off gadgets you buy at no further price to you.