Key lime pie and all issues tart citrus have at all times been favorites in my household. Once I was little, my Mother and I’d typically purchase truffles at a counter in a division retailer within the Mall, and it was normally the important thing lime flavored ones. One time the clerk mentioned that she did not know why we favored them a lot, as a result of she thought they have been too tart, however quite the opposite we thought they have been good! Typically instances I really feel like citrus desserts have manner an excessive amount of candy to counteract the tart however what I like is a steadiness of the 2. Once I make my key lime pies I typically instances use rather less sweetener for that cause. I really like tart lime!
So final week once I had a bag of limes readily available and was attempting to resolve what to make, lime curd bars got here to thoughts. I’ve additionally at all times had a love for these lemon curd bars, so I figured why not make them within the style? I’ve by no means made lime curd bars earlier than, so it was extra thrilling too. For the crust I made a shortbread cookie dough, and pre-baked it earlier than including the filling on prime of it so it will be good and crispy to distinction the filling. I used entire wheat pastry flour blended with slightly tapioca starch to lighten it however should you needed to make these gluten free, you may swap it out for gluten free all goal baking flour (I like to recommend Bob’s Crimson Mill).
For the filling, I used loads of lime juice and zest, with coconut cream to make it good and wealthy since there could be no dairy or eggs on this, and mixed it with slightly maple syrup and vanilla to sweeten it. I thickened it with corn starch which labored out slick and also you simply pour the filling into the crust and let it earlier than having fun with.
Lastly since conventional citrus bars are topped off with a powdered sugar topping I needed these to look simply as fairly so I made a coconut “powdered sugar” mud. It is not tremendous candy like precise powdered sugar however it’s fairly and goes nicely with the lime. For those who space fan of citrus curd bars, undoubtedly give these a strive!
Vegan Key Lime Curd Bars
- 1 half of cups natural entire wheat pastry flour*
- half of cup tapioca flour (or cornstarch would work as nicely)
- half of cup maple sugar
- 1/four tsp sea salt
- 1/four cup melted coconut oil
- 1/four cup plus 2 Tbsp avocado oil (or different impartial oil liquid at cool temperatures)
- 3/four cup lime juice
- 2 Tbsp lime zest
- half of cup cornstarch
- 1 3/four cups canned coconut cream
- 1/four cup plus 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/four tsp spinach powder (for shade, non-compulsory)
- 1/four tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/four cup finely shredded, dried unsweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350F levels, and line an 8×8 inch sq. pan with parchment paper (in order that it goes up the edges too).
- To make the crust, combine all components collectively in a bowl till mixed, then press into the backside of the ready pan.
- Place the pan within the oven and bake for 20 minutes or till set and calmly browned. Take away from oven.
- To make the filling, mix all components in a sauce pan, besides the vanilla extract, and whisk to dissolve the cornstarch. Place on the range over medium warmth, whisking continuously till it’s beginning to thicken. When it begins to thicken cook dinner for a minute or two, till it’s thickened to the consistency of pudding, then whisk within the vanilla extract.
- Pour the filling over the ready crust, and let cool utterly, then refrigerate for a couple of hours till utterly chilled.
- Buzz the coconut in a blender till it’s positive like flour, then mud the tops of the bars with it by placing it in a positive meshed strainer and tapping it over them.
- Lower into 16 bars.
Retailer any additional bars within the fridge in an hermetic container.
*For those who needed to make these gluten free, you may use Bob’s Crimson Mill gluten free all goal baking flour as an alternative of the pastry flour.